Dear Morialta friends,
With the developments over the last few days regarding Coronavirus (Covid-19), we are taking next steps as a Church to protect our community, prepare for likely disruption, and to live out what it means to be a Christian community during a pandemic.
Last evening a special meeting was held, of Church Council, Team Leaders, the Worship and Faith Education team and our retired ministers. We discussed the most recent medical advice about social distancing as an important precaution, especially for communities with a high proportion of older people, such as ours.
These are some important decisions from that meeting:
- We commit to continue being bearers of hope, love and care during this difficult time.
- We need to consider carefully what ‘loving our neighbour’ looks like in this time. The care that each of us takes to prevent illness spreading (including potentially embracing significant personal inconveniences like self-isolation), may be a life-saving act of love for our vulnerable neighbours.
- We will therefore not gather together for worship, from Sunday 22 March until further notice. We will provide recorded services regularly, beginning as soon as possible – watch for further news soon.
- All the group activities we run will go into recess, starting with the cancellation of Lunch on Chapel today, Wednesday 18 March, of Fellowship on Thursday 19th and Art Circle and Coffee and Chat on Friday 20th .
- Lenten reflection groups will also go into recess until it is safe to resume meeting.
- Ongoing pastoral care for each of us will be very important – we will rely for the time being on our previous Pastoral Partner system to keep in touch.
- We are asked to consider maintaining our regular giving during this time, so that the church will still function when it is safe to return. If you would like to move to e-give, a link is available on the side-bar of the Morialta website http://www.morialtauca.org.au/. Alternatively, our bank account details are available from me on request.
Please be in touch with your Morialta friends who do not have email, to share this news with them. A ‘snail-mail’ paper letter for those without email will be posted as soon as possible.
Let us remember too that we are the community of Hope, and of Love and Courage even in times of fear. Amid this, we must not let fear become a way of life. We remember the words of Jesus: Love can cast out fear. Leaning into love and learning what it really means to love our neighbours in this crisis will be crucial to our collective health and survival. (Words of Jim Wallace, Sojourners)
Blessings and peace,
Margaret Cargill Rev. Bob Hutchinson
Morialta Uniting Church & Community Centre
26 Chapel Street, Magill SA 5072
Ph: 08 8331 9344
Office Hours: Mon – Fri 9am – 12noon.